In April of 1939, the Civilian Conservation Corps began construction of the Davis Creek Dam at Kanawha State Forest.
As designed, the dam was built as a 100-foot-long, 10-foot-high obstruction across Davis Creek. The purpose of construction was the resulting impoundment, which created a swimming hole on the Kanawha State Forest property. Construction of the dam was completed in the summer of 1940 and Davis Creek upstream was promoted as the ﬁrst public, natural swimming pool in the Greater Kanawha Valley. The upstream pool was eventually named Ellison Pond.